The first round of 2022-23 NFL playoff action is in the books, and just eight teams remain in the race for Super Bowl 57.
Notable winners from Wildcard Weekend include the New York Giants, who flipped the script in avenging a recent loss to the Minnesota Vikings, and the Jacksonville Jaguars, who erased a 27-0 deficit against the Los Angeles Chargers to somehow win the game.
Every team that played in Wildcard Weekend (plus the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles, who had first-round byes) will be listed in this week’s Power Rankings.
Read on for my Post-Wildcard Power Rankings, and if you’d like to debate or discuss any rankings, or want to follow for more weekly NFL content including Picks and Power Rankings, be sure to connect with Sak Sports Blog on Twitter or on Facebook!
Post-Wildcard Power Rankings
- Kansas City Chiefs (14-3) [Last Week: 1]
- The Kansas City Chiefs enjoyed a first-round bye after tying for the NFL’s best regular season record. Patrick Mahomes and company will host the Jacksonville Jaguars in the Divisional Round.
- San Francisco 49ers (14-4) [Last Week: 2]
- While the Seattle Seahawks played a tight first half, the San Francisco 49ers absolutely blew the game open in the second half, coming out on top 41-23 with Brock Purdy, Deebo Samuel, and Christian McCaffrey all finding the end zone.
- Philadelphia Eagles (14-3) [Last Week: 5]
- I dropped the Philadelphia Eagles a couple spots after some Gardner Minshew-led losses and a less than inspiring win over half of a New York Giants team in Week 18. But with Jalen Hurts ready to roll after another week of rest, coupled with some subpar performances from last week’s winners, and the Eagles are back in the Top Three.
- Buffalo Bills (14-3) [Last Week: 2]
- For the third time this season, the Miami Dolphins gave the Buffalo Bills a very hard time, but for the second straight time, Josh Allen and company emerged victorious. Buffalo defeated Miami 34-31 in the Wildcard Round, and while it was closer than expected, it was still a playoff victory.
- Cincinnati Bengals (13-4) [Last Week: 4]
- Like the Bills, the 12-4 Cincinnati Bengals played down to their opponent in the Wildcard Round. The Baltimore Ravens probably would’ve won the game if not for Sam Hubbard’s field-flipping fumble return for a touchdown.
- Dallas Cowboys (13-5) [Last Week: 6]
- Despite a weird anomaly of four missed extra points, Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys beat down on the Buccaneers 31-14 on the road to set up a date with the 49ers in the Divisional Round.
- New York Giants (10-7-1) [Last Week: 11]
- Brian Daboll and the New York Giants continue to turn heads, jumping out to an early lead and never letting up in a playoff victory over the Minnesota Vikings.
- Minnesota Vikings (13-5) [Last Week: 7]
- Kirk Cousins and the Minnesota Vikings finish the season 11-1 in one-score games: 11-0 in the regular season, and 0-1 in the postseason after falling 31-24 to the New York Giants.
- Jacksonville Jaguars (10-8) [Last Week: 10]
- Social media was set ablaze after Trevor Lawrence threw his fourth first half interception… which made the Jacksonville Jaguars erasing a 27-0 deficit even more unbelievable. Jacksonville won 31-30 after a clever two-point conversion late in the fourth quarter, and has gone from the team picking first overall to a playoff game winner.
- Los Angeles Chargers (10-8) [Last Week: 9]
- The Los Angeles Chargers should be playing against the Kansas City Chiefs next weekend, but apparently no one in the organization knows how to hold on to a lead. It was an absolutely embarrassing loss for Brandon Staley and the Chargers.
- Miami Dolphins (9-9) [Last Week: 15]
- A once-promising season started to fizzle out in the second half for the Miami Dolphins, exacerbated by injuries to Tua Tagovailoa and Teddy Bridgewater. All things considered, Skylar Thompson and the Dolphins put up an incredible fight in Buffalo, falling just short, 34-31.
- Baltimore Ravens (10-8) [Last Week: 18]
- Tyler Huntley and the Baltimore Ravens very neatly had a playoff upset on their hands, knocking on the Bengals goal-line, but basically lost the game in one play as Huntley’s QB sneak attempt resulted in a fumble returned 98 yards the other way for a touchdown. This is the second season in a row lost due to Lamar Jackson injuries.
- Seattle Seahawks (9-9) [Last Week: 14]
- Geno Smith and the Seattle Seahawks actually had a 17-16 halftime lead over the San Francisco 49ers, which may be hard to believe with the 41-23 final result.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8-10) [Last Week: 19]
- It was one and done in the playoffs for Tom Brady and the sub -.500 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, as the NFC South champions lost 31-14 to the Cowboys on Monday Night. Where do Brady and the Bucs go from here?
- 2022-23 NFL Division Predictions: AFC East, AFC North, AFC South, AFC West, NFC East, NFC North, NFC South, NFC West
- 2022-23 NFL Position Rankings: Top 10 Quarterbacks, Top 10 Running Backs
- 2022-23 NFL Power Rankings: Post-Free Agency, Training Camp, Preseason, Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, Week 5, Week 6, Week 7, Week 8, Week 9, Week 10, Week 11, Week 12, Week 13, Week 14, Week 15, Week 16, Week 17, Week 18
- 2022-23 NFL Picks: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, Week 5, Week 6, Week 7, Week 8, Week 9, Week 10, Week 11, Week 12, Week 13, Week 14, Week 15, Week 16, Week 17, Week 18, Wildcard Weekend
- Playoff Bracket and Super Bowl 57 Prediction
- Preseason 2022-23 NFL Predictions: Playoffs and Super Bowl
- One-Year Prediction: Top Ten Super Bowl 57 Contenders
- Overtime Loss to Raiders Drops Broncos to 3-7, All But Ending Playoff Chances
- Kadarius Toney Scores 1st NFL Touchdown with Chiefs
- Philadelphia Eagles Unveil Updated Team Name Art for 2022
- Top Landing Spots for Jimmy Garoppolo in 2022 and 2023
- Las Vegas Raiders Will Work Out Colin Kaepernick, Per Reports
- 8 Potential Trade Destinations for Deebo Samuel
- Denver Broncos Acquire Russell Wilson from Seattle Seahawks in League-Changing Trade
- NFL 2021: Playoff Bracket and Super Bowl 56 Matchup
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: Playoffs and Super Bowl
- Eli Manning is a Sure-Fire Hall of Famer
- 2022-23 NBA Predictions: Standings, Playoff Teams, NBA Finals
- Kyrie Irving Likely to Test Free Agency, Lakers and Knicks Top Destinations
- Grizzlies Beat Thunder by NBA Record 73 Points in 152-79 Win
- 2021-22 NBA Predictions: Eastern Conference, Western Conference, Playoffs and NBA Finals
- Grading the Lakers-Wizards Russell Westbrook Trade
- Top Ten Players Heading Into the: 2020-21 NBA Season, 2021-22 NBA Season
- Avalanche Defeat Red Wings 6-3 in MLK Day Matinee
- XFL Re-Launches for 2023 with 15 Quarterbacks Drafted
More By Me
- Chautauqua Park Trail and Boulder Flatirons: Photo Gallery
- My Top Films of 2022
- IDK Reorganizes Discography In To Six Distinct Playlists on Apple Music and Spotify
- Ariana Grande Fortnite Rift Tour Review
- Stumptown, Rose City, “Weird”: My Portland 2020 Day Trip
- Hike: Mount Beacon Fire Tower Out-and-Back
- Hike: Breakneck Ridge Loop
- Liberty State Park Walkway, Jersey City, NJ: Photo Gallery
- Review: Eternal Atake by Lil Uzi Vert
Header Photo Credits: Sporting News