Super Bowl 55 is set to be one of the biggest NFL games in recent memory. The Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers both feature high-flying offenses, and there are many star offensive players that could be in the running for the Super Bowl 55/LV Most Valuable Player Award.
Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes took home the award last year after leading Kansas City to a comeback victory over the San Francisco 49ers. He’s the odds-on favorite to take home the Super Bowl MVP award again in 2021, with -120 odds according to Bovada as of Wednesday morning.
Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady is vying for his seventh Super Bowl title, and his +200 odds are the second-best to win the award in Super Bowl 55.
The these two heavy favorite paint the picture that we already know: offensive players, and more specifically quarterbacks, have a huge advantage in the Super Bowl MVP race. Mahomes superior odds over Brady also mirror the betting line for the game, where the Chiefs are favored by three points.
As such, more Chiefs players find themselves ranked highly in the published odds. Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce is third with +1000 odds, tied with teammate and wide receiver Tyreek Hill. Buccaneers running back Leonard Fournette (+2500) and wide receiver Mike Evans (+2800) are the next most likely players, while Chiefs defensive back Tryann Mathieu (+3000) has the best odds to pull off a rare MVP award from the defensive side of the football.
Wide receiver Antonio Brown (+5500) and tight end Rob Gronkowski (+6600) are longshots to win the award, but their odds are perhaps boosted by their star status.
Overall, quarterbacks have taken home eight of the past eleven Super Bowl MVP Awards. Seattle Seahawks linebacker Malcolm Smith, Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller, and New England Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman are the exceptions over the past eleven seasons. In the cases of Miller and Edelman, their quarterbacks didn’t put up many points on offense, opening the door for them to win the award. Smith made himself worthy with a couple game-changing plays for the Seahawks against the Broncos.
If Super Bowl 55 plays out as expected, there will be a lot of scoring, spearheaded by the play of the two quarterbacks. While anything could happen, I would definitely expect the winning quarterback to win the award this year, after tossing three or four touchdowns.
- Road to Super Bowl 55: Kansas City Chiefs
- Ranking All Four Potential Super Bowl 55 Matchups
- 2020-21 NFL Playoff Bracket Predictions and Super Bowl Matchup
- 2020-21 NFL Predictions: Standings and Super Bowl Matchup
- NFL 2020 Midseason Predictions: Final Standings and Super Bowl Matchup
- NFL 2020 Picks: Week 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, Wildcard, Divisional, Conference, Super Bowl 55
- NFL 2020 Power Rankings: Post-Week 1, Post-Week 2, Post-Week 3, Post-Week 4, Post-Week 5, Post-Week 6, Post-Week 7, Post-Week 8, Post-Week 9, Post-Week 10, Post-Week 11, Post-Week 12, Post-Week 13, Post-Week 14, Post-Week 15, Post-Week 16, Post-Week 17
- NFL MVP Watch: Quarter Season, Half Season, Three-Quarter Season
- Five Landing Spots for Cam Newton in 2021
- How Much is Saquon Barkley Worth to the Giants?
- Quarterback Dilemma in Chicago: Nick Foles vs Mitch Trubisky
- 2019 Preseason Predictions: Standings, Playoff Teams, Super Bowl Matchup
- 2019 NFL Playoff Bracket Predictions and Super Bowl Matchup
- Eli Manning is a Sure-Fire Hall of Famer
- 2020-21 NBA Standings, Playoffs, NBA Finals Predictions
- Top Ten Players Heading Into the 2020-21 NBA Season
- Top Five Active NBA Players Who Deserve A Ring
- Durant Dominates in Debut, Nets Down Warriors 125-99 in Season Opener
- Grading the Russell Westbrook-John Wall Trade
- Minnesota Timberwolves Select Anthony Edwards First Overall in the 2020 NBA Draft
- James Harden Wants Out of Houston, Prefers Brooklyn Nets
- “Run it Back:” Anthony Davis to Re-Sign with Los Angeles Lakers
- Who is 76ers Guard Shake Milton?
- 2019-20 NBA Predictions: Standings, Playoff Teams, MVP and Finals Matchup
- Re-Selecting the 2020 NBA All-Stars
- Top Five Duos in the NBA Bubble
- Track Review: Give No Fvk by Migos featuring Young Thug and Travis Scott
- Track Review: @ MEH by Playboi Carti
- Review: Eternal Atake by Lil Uzi Vert
Travel and Hiking
- Stumptown, Rose City, “Weird”: My Portland 2020 Day Trip
- Hike: Mount Beacon Fire Tower Out-and-Back
- Hike: Breakneck Ridge Loop
Header Photo Credit: Peter Aiken/Getty Images