The New York Giants have fired head coach Joe Judge after just two disappointing seasons with the team. After finishing the 2021-22 season with a 4-13 record, the Giants parted […]
The New York Giants have fired head coach Joe Judge after just two disappointing seasons with the team. After finishing the 2021-22 season with a 4-13 record, the Giants parted ways with general manager Dave Gettleman following four seasons with the team. While it initially seemed Judge would survive as New York’s head coach heading in to next season, the Giants revealed on Tuesday afternoon that Judge had been relieved of his coaching duties.
The Giants finished 10-23 in two seasons with Judge at the helm, finishing 6-10 last year and 4-13 this season. Judge wasn’t exactly handed the keys to a fully functional team, which reflects on the decisions made by Gettleman, but the Giants complete lack of competiveness this season sounded the alarm on Judge’s ability to lead a franchise.
Judge’s tenure in New York was also plagued with injuries, with star running back Saquon Barkley appearing in just 15 games during Judge’s 33-game tenure, as well as starting quarterback Daniel Jones missing the final six games of the season. The Giants went 0-6 over those six games, with Judge failing to do anything to get Mike Glennon or Jake Fromm to run an NFL-level offense.
Judge becomes the fourth Giants head coach to be fired before reaching his third season with the team after Tom Coughlin’s retirement, following Ben McAdoo, interim head coach Steve Spagnuolo, and Pat Shurmur. Judge’s .375 winning percentage gave him a better tenure at head coach than Spagnuolo (.250) and Shurmur (.281) but not as good as McAdoo (.464 with a playoff appearance.)
The Giants certainly can’t pin all their shortcomings on Judge, and reportedly planned on bringing him back for a third season just a few weeks ago. But after more embarrassing losses, head-scratching post-game interviews, and an already infamous quarterback sneak call backed up against his own goal line in Week 18 against Washington Football Team, New York decided they had seen enough.
Ahead of an important 2022 NFL Draft where the Giants hold both the fifth and seventh overall picks, the franchise will search for both a new general manager and new head coach. Despite a 12-25 mark over his first three years with the Giants, Daniel Jones is expected to return as New York’s starting quarterback in 2022, with both free agency and draft options thin at the position.
With the worst record in the NFL over the last five seasons, where do the Giants go from here? Who can New York trust at general manager with a crucial draft approaching? And who will the Giants name as the 22nd head coach in franchise history? Only time will tell, but after five seasons of disappointment, there should be nowhere for the Giants to go but up.
- New York Giants Recaps: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4
- 2021-22 NFL Power Rankings: Post-Week 1, Post-Week 2, Post-Week 3, Post-Week 4, Post-Week 5, Post-Week 6, Post-Week 7, Post-Week 8, Post-Week 9, Post-Week 10, Post-Week 11, Post-Week 12, Post-Week 13, Post-Week 14, Post-Week 15, Post-Week 16, Post-Week 17, Post-Week 18
- 2021-22 NFL Picks: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, Week 5, Week 6, Week 7, Week 8, Week 9, Week 10, Week 11, Week 12, Week 13, Week 14, Week 15, Week 16, Week 17, Week 18, Wildcard
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: Playoffs and Super Bowl
- NFL 2021: Midseason Predictions and Super Bowl 56 Matchup
- NFL 2021: Half Season MVP Watch
- Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills Overcome Patriots 33-21 in Rematch, Grab AFC East Lead
- Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals Take AFC North Lead With Win Over Broncos
- Taysom Hill Throws Four Interceptions in 1st Start of Season
- Carson Wentz, Jonathan Taylor, Indianapolis Colts Are In Prime Playoff Position
- Rodgers, Packers Hand Murray, Cardinals First Loss of Season After 7-0 Start
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: NFC West
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: NFC South
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: NFC North
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: NFC East
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: AFC West
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: AFC South
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: AFC North
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: AFC East
- One-Year Prediction: Top Ten Super Bowl 56 Contenders
- Eli Manning is a Sure-Fire Hall of Famer
- NBA 2021-22: January Power Rankings
- Joe Johnson Returns to NBA, Boston Celtics on 10-Day Contract
- Kyrie Irving Enters COVID Protocols in Return to Brooklyn Nets Roster
- Grizzlies Beat Thunder by NBA Record 73 Points in 152-79 Win
- NBA 2021-22: December Power Rankings
- NBA 2021-22: November Power Rankings
- Top Ten Players Heading Into the 2021-22 NBA Season
- 2021-22 NBA Predictions: Playoffs and NBA Finals
- 2021-22 NBA Predictions: Western Conference
- 2021-22 NBA Predictions: Eastern Conference
- Grading the Lakers-Wizards Russell Westbrook Trade
- Five Trade Destinations for 76ers Guard Ben Simmons
- 2020-21 NBA Standings, Playoffs, NBA Finals Predictions
- Top Ten Players Heading Into the 2020-21 NBA Season
More By Me
- Kanye West Drops Donda Deluxe, with 3 New Songs, Alternate Versions, and New Track Order
- Ariana Grande Fortnite Rift Tour Review
- No Fans Allowed at 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics: Should the Games be Postponed?
- Stumptown, Rose City, “Weird”: My Portland 2020 Day Trip
- Hike: Mount Beacon Fire Tower Out-and-Back
- Hike: Breakneck Ridge Loop
- Review: Eternal Atake by Lil Uzi Vert
Header Photo: Yahoo Sports