With two weeks left in the 2021-22 NFL season, the Buffalo Bills have gained possession of first place in the AFC East after defeating the New England Patriots 33-21 at […]
With two weeks left in the 2021-22 NFL season, the Buffalo Bills have gained possession of first place in the AFC East after defeating the New England Patriots 33-21 at Gillette Stadium. The Bills win comes just three weeks after the Patriots pulled off a 14-10 win in less than ideal weather conditions in Buffalo.
Josh Allen completed 30-of-47 passes for 314 yards and three touchdowns, and didn’t throw an interception or take a sack. Allen was also the Bills leading rusher, with 64 yards on 12 carries. Wide receiver Isaiah McKenzie was Allen’s go-to target, catching 11 of 12 passes thrown his way for 125 yards and a touchdown. Stefon Diggs hauled in seven catches for 85 yards and a score, jabbing at New England fans near the endzone. Cole Beasley was sidelined in COVID-19 protocols.
The Bills defense did an excellent job limiting New England’s passing game, holding Mac Jones to 14-of-32 passing for 145 yards with no touchdowns and two interceptions.
The Bills led 17-7 at halftime before a scoring frenzy broke out in the second half, as the two teams traded five straight scoring drives including four straight touchdown drives.
Up 26-21, Allen converted a huge fourth-and-1 play with his feet and elusiveness.
Allen tossed a shovel pass to McKenzie to put the Bills up 33-21 with 2:30 left to play, essentially sealing the game.
Jones tossed a Hail Mary interception to end the Patriots final drive as they attempted to come back.
The Bills upset of the Patriots on their own turf evens Buffalo and New England’s records at 9-6, but Buffalo would win a tiebreaker for the division right now with a superior 4-1 record within the AFC compared to New England’s 3-2 mark.
This means Allen and the Bills control their own playoff destiny, and can officially secure back-to-back AFC titles with two wins over the next two weeks. With two home games against the Atlanta Falcons and New York Jets, Buffalo has a great chance to finish the season at 11-6.
Jones and the Patriots take on the Jacksonville Jaguars and Miami Dolphins over their final two games. After a two-game losing streak, a home matchup with the Jaguars should easily get New England back on track, while a Week 18 matchup with AFC East foe Miami could be a gritty game with playoff implications on the line.
If the Bills go 1-1 over their final two games, the Patriots could re-take the AFC East crown with a 2-0 record. If the Bills and Patriots both go 0-2 over the next weeks, with Tua Tagovailoa and the Dolphins going 3-0 to close out their season with a Monday night win over the New Orleans Saints and wins over the Tennessee Titans and Patriots, Miami could still technically win the division.
The AFC wildcard race is a bloated mess, with some Week 16 results yet to unfold at time of writing. I won’t get into all the possible scenarios, and trust me, there’s a lot, but if the Bills can win at least one of their final two games, they should be able to fall back on a wildcard spot if they can’t win the AFC East.
- 2021-22 NFL Power Rankings: Post-Week 1, Post-Week 2, Post-Week 3, Post-Week 4, Post-Week 5, Post-Week 6, Post-Week 7, Post-Week 8, Post-Week 9, Post-Week 10, Post-Week 11, Post-Week 12, Post-Week 13, Post-Week 14, Post-Week 15
- 2021-22 NFL Picks: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, Week 5, Week 6, Week 7, Week 8, Week 9, Week 10, Week 11, Week 12, Week 13, Week 14, Week 15, Week 16
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: Playoffs and Super Bowl
- NFL 2021: Midseason Predictions and Super Bowl 56 Matchup
- NFL 2021: Half Season MVP Watch
- New York Giants Recaps: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4
- Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals Take AFC North Lead With Win Over Broncos
- Taysom Hill Throws Four Interceptions in 1st Start of Season
- Carson Wentz, Jonathan Taylor, Indianapolis Colts Are In Prime Playoff Position
- Rodgers, Packers Hand Murray, Cardinals First Loss of Season After 7-0 Start
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: NFC West
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: NFC South
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: NFC North
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: NFC East
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: AFC West
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: AFC South
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: AFC North
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: AFC East
- One-Year Prediction: Top Ten Super Bowl 56 Contenders
- Eli Manning is a Sure-Fire Hall of Famer
- Joe Johnson Returns to NBA, Boston Celtics on 10-Day Contract
- Kyrie Irving Enters COVID Protocols in Return to Brooklyn Nets Roster
- Grizzlies Beat Thunder by NBA Record 73 Points in 152-79 Win
- NBA 2021-22: December Power Rankings
- NBA 2021-22: November Power Rankings
- Top Ten Players Heading Into the 2021-22 NBA Season
- 2021-22 NBA Predictions: Playoffs and NBA Finals
- 2021-22 NBA Predictions: Western Conference
- 2021-22 NBA Predictions: Eastern Conference
- Grading the Lakers-Wizards Russell Westbrook Trade
- Five Trade Destinations for 76ers Guard Ben Simmons
- 2020-21 NBA Standings, Playoffs, NBA Finals Predictions
- Top Ten Players Heading Into the 2020-21 NBA Season
More By Me
- Kanye West Drops Donda Deluxe, with 3 New Songs, Alternate Versions, and New Track Order
- Ariana Grande Fortnite Rift Tour Review
- No Fans Allowed at 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics: Should the Games be Postponed?
- Stumptown, Rose City, “Weird”: My Portland 2020 Day Trip
- Hike: Mount Beacon Fire Tower Out-and-Back
- Hike: Breakneck Ridge Loop
- Review: Eternal Atake by Lil Uzi Vert
Header Photo: Acquired via CNN