After deciding to part ways with head coach Jason Garrett after nine seasons, the Dallas Cowboys wasted little time finding their next leader. Mike McCarthy becomes the 9th head coach […]
After deciding to part ways with head coach Jason Garrett after nine seasons, the Dallas Cowboys wasted little time finding their next leader. Mike McCarthy becomes the 9th head coach in Cowboys franchise history.
McCarthy was fired from the Green Bay Packers after the 2018-19 NFL season, and was offered opportunities to coach for the New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals, and Cleveland Browns. Rather than take on a re-building project, McCarthy opted to sit out the 2019-20 NFL season in hopes of a better opportunity in 2020.
While the Cowboys are far from a perfect team, they’ll give McCarthy a chance to come and compete immediately for a playoff berth and run at the Super Bowl in 2021.
Garrett departs Dallas as the 2nd-longest tenured coach in franchise history, completing nine seasons with a 77-59 record. The tenure included 3 NFC East titles and a 2-3 record in the playoffs. While Garrett was never able to get Dallas past the Divisional Round of the playoffs, he still kept the Cowboys competitive for most of the decade.
McCarthy coached 13 seasons for the Packers, accumulating a 125-77-2 record. His team qualified for the playoffs in 9 of his first 11 seasons as head coach, before failing to reach the postseason in his final two years. In 2010, McCarthy led Aaron Rodgers and the Packers to a Super Bowl victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers. They followed up in 2011 with an incredible 15-1 regular season record before being upset by Eli Manning and the New York Giants in Lambeau Field.
The Cowboys had every opportunity to make the playoffs in 2019, and winning the NFC East will likely be the expectation for McCarthy in 2020. With Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliot, and Amari Cooper in their primes and a strong defense, McCarthy will be tasked with bringing Dallas into the postseason and ideally further.
- Preseason Predictions: Standings, Playoff Teams, Super Bowl Matchup
- Weekly Picks: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
- Power Rankings: Post-Week 4, Post-Week 5, Post-Week 6, Post-Week 7, Post-Week 8, Post-Week 9, Post-Week 10, Post-Week 11
- Halfway Point Updated NFL Predictions: Standings, Playoffs, and Super Bowl
- 13th in the AFC, the New York Jets Have a Clear Path to the Playoffs
- NFL Wildcard Predictions
- NFL Playoff Bracket Predictions and Super Bowl Matchup
- Texans Overcome 16-0 Deficit, Beat Bills 22-19 in Overtime
- 7 Landing Spots IF Tom Brady Left the Patriots
- Washington QB Jacob Eason Declares for 2020 NFL Draft
- #3 Clemson Comes Back to Defeat #2 Ohio State 29-23, Advance to National Championship
- 2019-20 NBA Predictions: Standings, Playoff Teams, MVP and Finals Matchup
- NBA Season-Opening Power Rankings, Post-Week 1, Post-Week 2
- Lakers Down Spurs, LeBron James Gets 83rd Career Triple Double
- Lakers Beat Bulls for 6th Straight Win, LeBron James 3rd Straight Triple Double
- Davis and James Handle Heat for Lakers 7th Straight Win
Header Photo: Via Yahoo Sports