New York Giants starting quarterback Daniel Jones has been been fully cleared from a neck injury suffered late in the 2021-22 NFL season, new head coach Brian Daboll told reporters at a press conference per CBS Sports. The neck injury, initially thought to be a week-to-week situation, ultimately cost Jones the final six games of the Giants season.
New York went 0-6 with Jones (and many other key contributors) on the sideline down the stretch. The Giants had established a disappointing 4-7 record through 12 weeks with Jones as their starting quarterback, but stumbled to an even more embarrassing 4-13 finish.
Staying healthy will be important for Jones in 2022 as the Giants evaluate the former Duke quarterback in the fourth and final year of his rookie contract. General manager Joe Schoen opted not to pick up Jones’ fifth-year team option. While this doesn’t mean Jones’ time in New York will be over after the 2022-23 season, it gives the Giants more flexibility to re-sign, franchise tag, or let the fifth-year quarterback walk in free agency.
With a 12-25 career record and a mediocre 45 passing touchdowns to 29 interceptions (1.6) ratio, Jones will have to show signs of improvement with the new regime in order to secure a spot on the Giants roster long-term. New York signed veteran quarterback Tyrod Taylor in the off-season, both as injury insurance and potentially even a viable starting option if Jones really struggles in 2023.
Will Daniel Jones do enough to stay with the Giants in 2023 and beyond? Or will New York be looking for a new quarterback next season? Let me know what you think on Twitter, and be sure to follow Sak Sports Blog for more New York Giants and NFL content!
- 2021-22 NFL Power Rankings: Post-Week 1, Post-Week 2, Post-Week 3, Post-Week 4, Post-Week 5, Post-Week 6, Post-Week 7, Post-Week 8, Post-Week 9, Post-Week 10, Post-Week 11, Post-Week 12, Post-Week 13, Post-Week 14, Post-Week 15, Post-Week 16, Post-Week 17, Post-Week 18, Post-Wildcard, Post-Divisional
- 2021-22 NFL Picks: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, Week 5, Week 6, Week 7, Week 8, Week 9, Week 10, Week 11, Week 12, Week 13, Week 14, Week 15, Week 16, Week 17, Week 18, Wildcard, Divisional, NFC Championship, AFC Championship, Super Bowl 56
- NFL 2022: Post-Free Agency Power Rankings
- One-Year Prediction: Top Ten Super Bowl 57 Contenders
- Top Landing Spots for Jimmy Garoppolo in 2022 and 2023
- Las Vegas Raiders Will Work Out Colin Kaepernick, Per Reports
- 8 Potential Trade Destinations for Deebo Samuel
- Reports: Multiple Teams Interested in Trading for Texans Wide Receiver Brandin Cooks
- 7 Landing Spots for Julio Jones After Release From Tennessee Titans
- BREAKING: Denver Broncos Acquire Russell Wilson from Seattle Seahawks in League-Changing Trade
- NFL 2021: Playoff Bracket and Super Bowl 56 Matchup
- Top Ten Potential Super Bowl 56 Matchups
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: Playoffs and Super Bowl
- NFL 2021: Midseason Predictions and Super Bowl 56 Matchup
- NFL 2021: Half Season MVP Watch
- New York Giants Hire Bills Assistant GM Joe Schoen as General Manager
- BREAKING: New York Giants Fire Joe Judge After Two Seasons, 10-23 Record
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: NFC West
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: NFC South
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: NFC North
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: NFC East
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: AFC West
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: AFC South
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: AFC North
- 2021-22 NFL Predictions: AFC East
- One-Year Prediction: Top Ten Super Bowl 56 Contenders
- Eli Manning is a Sure-Fire Hall of Famer
More By Me
Header Photo: Jim Isaac/Getty Images
Be sure to follow Sak Sports Blog on Twitter or on Facebook for more NBA and NFL updates!
Leave a Reply